Skip to main content

About Our School

Campus Photo

West Hollywood Elementary, located in the heart of West Hollywood, operates as a member of Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) in District West.

West Hollywood has a caring and professional staff committed to working with each student kindergarten through fifth grade and their family to create an exceptional learning environment.  

With a diverse group of students and our exceptional teachers, West Hollywood is a school distinguished as truly extraordinary.

History of West hollywood elementary

Like the town of West Hollywood, West Hollywood Elementary is inextricably linked to Moses Sherman, founder of Los Angeles’ first electrified street cars and developer of the railroad town of Sherman (1897). Although, there are records indicating that there was a school on the sight as early as the 1880’s when the area was farm lands, the earliest known photos and news articles are when Moses developed Sherman and built a new school for the railroad workers’ children.

Situated on the sunny slope of Clark Street (San Vicente) students and teachers walked up the hill to the little wooden school house known as The Sherman School.

In 1910 the school was annexed by LAUSD and in 1925 the current structure facing Hammond was built. Around this time, the city of Sherman returned to unincorporated county status and in 1929, the school’s name officially changed to West Hollywood Elementary. From farm lands to railroads to Sunset Strip – to now—West Hollywood Elementary has the rare distinction of being one of the few LAUSD schools to generate students every year for over 100 years!